Click here for a Westgate Resorts Vacation

Google

 

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Memories to keep from 2006

January: I was naturalized. I am now officially an American citizen. I also got to see my old friend Paul while at a meeting in Dallas. It had been a few years that we had seen each other. I had dinner with him and his girlfriend and we had a few hours of catching up. It was very nice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February: V-day was nice we went to my favorite restaurant the day before (we both had to work v-day of course) otherwise nothing special just work. Got to go on a business trip to San Francisco which is one of my favorite cities.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March: mhh nothing much the AP's and I continued to write cards to recruits. The local press heard of it and came out to do an interview with all of us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April: I went to see Maureen graduate from Marine boot camp in South Carolina. It was something else. (the oldest of the kids whose au pair I was a long time ago)The nice part was her whole family was there so I got to see everyone. It was great. We are all so proud of her. She was 17 and a Marine so grown up. I took her back with me to Virginia since her boyfriend was at the music school near me. She would go there to after she went home for her high school graduation. She was the first person ever to walk in Dress Blues for her ceremony. I wish I could have seen that but I am sooo glad I got to at PI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May: Oh there is too much, my 1st anniversary with Grumpy which got cut kind of short because I left for my 10 year highschool reunion in Germany that day. Due to that I missed his college graduation :(.
The 2 weeks at home were wonderful but my favorite would have to be the Saturday before I left. I had gotten in touch with a few friends including Uwe and old childhood friend, who I had not seen in 8 years.
I met my best friend Dani and her man at 3pm and we went into one of the many Ice cream parlors / cafés that you have everywhere. There we met another childhood friend of ours and celebrated her first pregnancy (it is a baby girl) and birthday.

A little while later another one of my friends and her husband joined us. After 3 hours of amazing looking Ice cream cocktails we said goodbye to the soon to be mommy and walked down the street to my favorite Chinese restaurant. [The Chinese food in Germany tastes different than it does here - so does all the other chain food].

There Uwe joined us. We had a great time. Around 9pm we said good bye to my best friend and her boyfriend as they left to go watch the German version of Dancing with Stars. The rest of us sat and chatted for a bit longer before walking down the street a bit further to a bar. There we stayed until we said good bye after midnight. Uwe and I chatted a bit longer outside my moms house until I finally go home a bit after 1 am. It was great. I got to see everyone and have a great time.

Thinking back about that night makes me homesick I do miss my friends from home a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June: Well it was Grumpy's b-day but he had to go into work. I was obsessed with the Soccer world cup since it looked like Germany had a chance. I switched my blog from myspace to the blogger. My mom came to visit so we could do her green card paper work. Since we were near Virginia Beach we went down the prominade and then hoped over the the Little Creek base where the school of music is to visit Maureen and Austin. My mom had not seen Maureen for 9 years.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July: I got to go jet skiing as part of an Au pair meeting. This was awesome I love jet skiing. Its like riding a motorcycle on water. I also got to go to Chicago for a meeting where I saw my former host family and my friend Evelyn who was an AP with me. She and her boyfriend had flown in from Switzerland for a wedding of the niece of our host mom. Also

*drum roll*


I got to meet our very own Miss Jin and Brioche in person (well and Mister Jin and ....). Jin made lunch for Erin (she is the youngest of the kids whose AP I was) and I, then we got to sample all her goodies. OMG talk about a kid in candy land. I can't wait to go back and try the things I couldn't fit.





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August: Mhh nothing major - I got to go to Seattle for the first time. While I was waiting to go up on the Space needle I get a call form one of my girls saying she got kicked out by her host parents. WTF. So when I got home I had to house my first AP. After I found her a new family, Grumpy and I took the puppies to the beach Mac hates the sound of the waves and will not go in the water. We don't know what it is with her and the ocean. Sassy was in the water , swimming and having a good time. We took a nap on the greens later but I couldn't read my book because people kept coming up to us to ask if they could pet the doggies. What can I say to cute for their own good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September: Well there was Ernesto the nice little tropical storm that cost us power for a few days and caused quiet some damage. We got lucky while it snapped of a tree limb the size of most trees, the limb missed the house by inches.

There was also my first Sweetbox from Jin. It was a early b-day present so we could take it with us to our trip. MHHHHHH so good.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October: Happy Birthday to me!!! I got my wish and Grumpy, the pups and I went to a cabin in the West Virginia mountains. It was sooo pretty. I loved it. The cabin was so isolated in one of the valleys no one would ever find it. We saw the local sights and took a drive to the Maryland side where we got to see the beautiful colors of the leaves. It was soo relaxing and the pups loved it because they got to come with us everywhere we went.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November: The house turned into Hotel Katy as I housed one AP for 2 weeks in the beginning of the month (I will see her when I go to LA next week) and then after Thanksgiving I got another AP that needed a place to stay until we found her a new family. Thanksgiving was nice and I since I was off the day after I went and did my Locks of Love donation. I think Grumpy is still getting used to the short hair. I am mean I never tell him when I do it, just show up with short hair.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December: Ohhh so many things. Mhh I got a Cherry box, a Jin box and I saw the Transiberian Orchestra live. And most importantly Grumpy and I got to go out for New Years ever for the first time in 6 years. We had a ball. We went to the bar where we met and just hung out. Mhhh what a way to finish this year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I started the post I didn't think the year was all that, but now looking at it it almost makes my life sound interesting doesn't it? Wonder what this year will hold I mean I am supposed to graduate from college with that a new job, Grumpy and I are planning on going to Germany for Christmas and New Years (I haven't been home for the holidays in 10 years!) .... Lots of potential

13 comments:

Library Mama said...

What a wonderful year you've had - so full of activity and fun!

I know what you mean about how looking back for good things can really make you appreciate the little wonders of life. Our family has a tradition that every Sunday at the supper table, each of us says what was the best part of our week. It really makes us notice how many wonderful moments the previous week held.

Dino said...

L. Mama - wow how did you comment this fast I just posted it. I have worked on this since yesterday. Yeah I guess all in all it was a great year. I like your Sunday tradition.

Angel said...

lots and lots of potential!! What a busy year you had. That is a great idea, to go month by month like that...you really get to see where your year went, ya know?

Your puppies are cute!

Dino said...

Beth - yeah it surprised me. I had to check my PDA and blog a few times to see what went on that month because I just didn't remember it that busy.

Justmee said...

wow what a great year you had hon.. thanks for sharing.. I enjoy reading and viewing all the pictures. :)

Molecular Turtle said...

What a great year. Well done post!

Dino said...

Justmee Thank you. I had fun writing and remembering it. Its amazing how much I had forgotten. Thank good for the blog

Turtle Thanks. Arranging the pictures were a pain because I didn't know which one I would use until after I was done writing.

Dan said...

Holy Toledo (yes, apparently people still say that) you did quite a bit of work to put this together, and it shows.

Very nice Katy!

Dino said...

Dan - thanks the pictures were a pain since I could only click and drag within that little writing box

jin said...

Wow Katy, that's a GREAT post!!!
It IS really nice you added ALL the pics, too! Worth the time & effort, I think!

Dino said...

Jin thanks I am trying to think of a way to print of the blog make it into a journal I can keep to maybe show my kids some day.

AngelConradie said...

fabulous post! what a way to recap your year- and it was a hectic one too!

Dino said...

Angel thanks my life tends to be hectic anyhow