Click here for a Westgate Resorts Vacation

Google

 

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Ernesto part two

Still no power but my neighbor has a generator and let us hook up the fridge and freezer and I piggybacked the computer so I can do homework and send you all some pics of what I saw when I came home yesterday.


This is taken from my porch door. The limb came up to our steps but missed the house thank god.


I had called Grumpy to take the Expedition to work as I thought it would be safer than his little Geo tracker. Our neighbors told me the limb fell 30min later and it would have smashed the car had Grumpy not taken it to work.

Here you can see where it hit on the drive way.


Another shot of the house and front yard


different angle same limb you can see how it stopped at the steps.


The limb that fell is bigger than some trees around here.


Here is a shot
after I cleaned up the loose branches

This I can't move until a friend with a chainsaw comes to help me. He is actual the reason I am up he had said he'd come at 9 but I think he is running later to let me sleep in.

looking out from my porch


close up from the porch


close up different angle


My back deck. Not to many branches down there.


look at the lawn its turning into a little lake

my lake


water


Here is the debris that I could clean up myself without a chain saw. Close up on the debris Okay this is my neighbors yard look closely under the tree - you can see the bumper of it.


So all in all we were very lucky the house and the car was spared. I had initially called into work because I thought my neighbor had a chainsaw and I was going to be cleaning up, but he didn't so my clean up went much faster than anticipated. So I called to see if they need me since the house had no power and there was nothing to do and at least that way I'd get a warm meal. My boss actually called me when I was on my way (no doubt because some of our greedy waitresses bitched at the idea of having 5 vs 6 working) saying if I wanted to stay home. I was like what no warm meal and money???? He said to come on in if it wasn't busy he'd at least feed me. Well it was a good thing I thought with my stomach we got slammed. We were one of a few places open and over 300,000 had lost power. I didn't get home until close to midnight. I was out on the patio and made over $100. Now remember these where not our regular customers and my tips weren't that great for example I had a $69 check that left me $5. Our entire restaurant was full and we had people waiting outside for tables it was a madhouse. The news said that not all power will be restored today so we may be busy again. But I don't think it will be as much as yesterday because the people that do have power will have BBQ's to rid themselves of all the food that thawed.

6 comments:

jin said...

Wow! Those are some pictures!
Hope you get everything cleared up!

We were SO BUSY today, too!!! OMG!!! I only got a couple pics of the 2 wedding cakes. By the time I came out of the kitchen to take pics of all the pastries everything was GONE!!!

Dino said...

Well we worked for several hours and got most of it done but parts of the limb was to thick for the chain saw so we'll have to see what we'll do.

Power got back on this afternoon thank god.

Unknown said...

Wow! And I thought it was WET here!!! Well, no little 'lakes' but plenty of puddles for the kiddo to jump in, and the creeks are overflowing too. The nights are ver cold tho, makes for some good snuggling ;)

Dino said...

Jewles - it is finally getting colder here which is nice.

Die Muräne said...

Verrückte Bilder!
Wie lange habt ihr gebraucht um diese Bäume für die Fotos in euren Garten zu schleppen?

Nein nein, Spass bei Seite, da habt Ihr ja mächtig Glück gehabt!

Dino said...

Ich habe 3h mit einem bekannten und dessen kettensaege gebraucht um wenigstens soweit zu kommen dam man den fussweg wieder nutzen kann. Wir hatten echt glueck da der ast dort hin fiel wo wir normalerwiese 3 autos stehen haben.