Click here for a Westgate Resorts Vacation

Google

 

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Airtran got it right

I know it is usually Bubs that lets us know about news but I thought this was worth sharing.

This Boston couple is complaining that they were asked to leave the plane after they were unable to get their kid under control and in the seat so the plane could take of. The 3 yr old girl decided to rather sit on the floor and throw a tantrum. After the plane was already 15 min late the family was asked to leave. I think that was awesome. The family got their money back and 3 round trip tickets but they are still bitching - and will never fly Airtran again

THANK GOD!!!! LETS HOPE THEY NEVER FLY US AIR (my main airline)!!!!!

Click here for the full article

I fly a lot and I hate the kicking and screaming kids. I understand the flying thing can freak them out and the pressure change can hurt their ears but there are things you can do to prevent that.

  • Okay first of you can make some tea (fennel and chamomile to calm the kid - works wonders and its all natural and drug free unlike using benadryl which works too).
  • get some new toys, color books what ever the kid is into and do not show them until your in your seat
  • stay calm occupy them do not read or sleep and ignore them
  • and have some hard candy so they swallow continuously while the plane takes off with that easing the pressure on their ears
So how do I know this works - well thats what my mom did and thats what I'll do. I have also observed this in passengers with kids. I have no problems with kids being kids on planes but there are ways to divert their attention but it takes some work from the parents to ensure everyone has a great flight.

14 comments:

Lesley said...

Amen to that!!! When I heard that story, I completely agreed with the airline, and I also thought that they shouldn't have offered them 3 roundtrip tickets. The kid was being a brat and disrupting the flight! End of story!

I'd be willing to bet that these people will try to sue the airline. But I can't imagine any jury who would side with them!

Dino said...

Lesley - I agree they should not have gotten the tickets and the money just rebooking them would have been enough. I think I may have charged them for the delay and the potential cost as other passengers would have problems with connections and so forth. and yes I bet they sue but I hope too that it will not get anywhere.

Nicole said...

It's the kicking of my seat that drives me mad. I am a flyer of US Air too, hope they stay away from that airline.

Dino said...

Nicole - yeah that annoys me too but not as much as kids screaming for no reason. I took a red eye from seattle last year (no inflight entertainment and I didn't have an ipod yet) and some kid a few rows infront of me kept screaming "I WANNA GO HOME" all night long. I didn't sleep one minute. And whoever she was with just let her freaken do it.

Steven said...

You have a "main airline?" ;)

Steve~

The Phosgene Kid said...

I don’t think it is fair that someone’s squalling brat gets to ride up top while my poor pups are stuck below with the luggage. Maybe the airlines should reverse their policy and let dogs ride with the passengers and stow the brats with the Gucci...

Dan said...

Rope and duct tape work wonders as well!

I wonder if the entire plane applauded when they were booted off. :)

Bathroom Hippo said...


Bastard family!

Dino said...

Steven - yeah I fly a lot and always with them this way I collect miles and get to Germany for free

phos - Mhh somehow I can't see my pups in coach

dan - i would have applauded

hippo - if you say so

murray said...

I support child sedation.

Pretty much all the time.

jin said...

Ewww!

k i d s

*jin shudders*

Did phos mention pups?!
YAY! P U P S!!!

:-D

Unknown said...

It's not just planes, it's trains too!

I make sure my little one is entertained for the WHOLE 8 hour trip when I go back home, NOBODY hears a peep out of her, except for laughter. I absolutely abhor when other parents just let their little monsters rule over the whole vehicle... Really makes me angry. It's not difficult to be interactive with your child, keep them busy, entertained. There's no reason every other traveler should suffer through their trip for your little progeny...
I agree with Lesley, I might have refunded their money, but I certainly wouldn't have added three round-trip tickets to the lot...

Dino said...

grumble - welcome to my blog and LOL on the sedation

Jin - well we all know Brioche knows how to sit properly but Mac on the other hand - she'd need her own row

Dino said...

Jewels - I totally agree